BECAS provides scholarships to Ecuadorian children in the Santa Maria Barrio in Quito. Most of these children come from homes where the simple necessities are hard to come by and the required $150 for school uniforms and books is simply out of reach. The goal of BECAS is to provide scholarships for a few of these children each year, to attend public schools and realize their hopes and dreams of moving the next generation out of the barrio.
The Latest news and stories
- Creative Therapy Creative Therapist, Ellen Spieker, worked with the children in the neighborhood Santa Maria for a year in 2008.
- Community Service One of the values that BECAS imparts to it’s scholars is the value of outreach and service to others. The youth are volunteering both in their neighborhood and in other communities.
- January 30th: Feast and Silent Auction Come celebrate our success and learn what’s new. BECAS Foundation Feast and Fundraiser!
- 5 a.m. Wake Up Call The scholars have extremely long days, starting at 5 a.m. Learn about the days of Virginia, Willian, and Edith.
- Doctors Visits As part of the sponsorship program, the scholars receive medical, dental, and eye care twice a year.
- Dreams of Mothers At a bi-monthly parent meeting, the scholars' mothers discussed their dreams for the future of their children.
- The Barbara Baumgartner Fund Barbara died in a bus accident in Peru after volunteering with the children at To Give Hope. This is her story.
- Mural making in the Barrio In June 2009, I traveled to Quito to lead a mural painting project at Para Dar Esparanza, an after school program for kids in the Santa Maria neighborhood of Quito. Becas gives scholarships to kids at the Para Dar Esparanza program so that they can afford public school fees and continue with their studies.
2009 / 2010 Scholarship Profiles
- Profile: Abigail Abigail is the youngest BECAS scholar. Abigail, her family, and BECAS is excited for her future!
- Profile: Cristopher His teacher says that his is a bright young boy, does beautiful art work, and a great friend to everyone in the class. This is Cristopher's first year as a BECAS scholar and we are looking forward to working with him and his family!
- Profile: Gilson Glison’s teacher, Lourdes says, “Gilson is very dynamic, he does his homework, is respectful to his teachers, plays well with others. When Gilson gets home, he washes his hands, sits down, and does his homework. He loves his parents and his family is strongly united.”
- Profile: Ambar Ambar is entering the third grade and is happy to be continuing school.
- Profile: Michelle Michelle’s teachers say that she is collaborative and friendly to everyone in the class. She has a contagious smile that spreads across her face as her eyes light up.
- Profile: Katherine 12 year-old Katherine is entering the 7th grade and she is thrilled to be the recipient of a BECAS scholarship. Her teachers say that she always has a calming and shy presence in class.
- Profile: Ronald Energetic and helpful, Ronald is happy to be a BECAS scholar and continue his education. He is in 5rd grade.
- Profile: Alex Alex’s mom was not the only one who was excited Alex was selected as a BECAS scholar. Alex’s face light up with the news that he could continue to study. He announced which high school he wanted to attend because it was one of the best.
- Profile: Cintia Cintia is excited to be going into the 2nd grade.
- Profile: Virginia This is Virginia’s fifth year attending school. The shy, wide-eyed 12-year-old had never attended school before 2009. She is excited to continue her education with BECAS.
Give the Gift of Education
Your tax-deductible contribution supports and nurtures our scholars. Find out how.
Get Email Updates
Sign up to receive emails about once a month