Thank you for helping make March 16′s Dinner and Silent Auction a successful night! We raised over $3,000 through donations, ticket sales, the silent auction, and drinks. We matched our $500 matching-gift grant! Thank you for helping meet the challenge! If you did not have a chance to make a donation, please consider doing so now!
Your support will directly help Edith and Alex, their families, the BECAS community, and Barrio Santa Maria. We hope that as the scholars and BECAS continue to grow, you will also continue to grow with us.
As requested, below are the recipes for the amazing Quinoa Salad and wonderful Menestra
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts – sliced
- 1 small cucumber, halved, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro – your taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger (or more to your taste)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 cup oil (canola &/or olive)
In a small bowl whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt , cayenne and oil. In a salad bowl, combine quinoa, green onions, cucumber and cilantro. Toss with the dressing and serve with avocado.
- 2 cups, black beans, soaked overnight or at least a few hours
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tsps., cumin seeds
- 4 tsps., dried oregano or a handful of fresh
- 4 tsps., Paprika
- 1/2 tsp., cayenne pepper (or use hot sauce)
- 1 chili negro or ancho chili (or use chili powder)
- 3 Tbsp., cooking oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, diced or chopped well
- 4 cloves, garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp., good salt
- one and a half cups, tomatoes, fresh or canned, with juice
- 1 tsp., chipotle chili
- 1 Tbsp, rice wine vinegar
Drain beans, cover with water, add bay leaf and simmer.
Toast cumin seeds in small pan, then add oregano, then Paprika and cayenne pepper. Remove from heat, then grind spices together. If using ancho or negro chili, stem & seed, then toast in pan, grind up and add to other spices.
Saute onions in oil until soft, then add garlic, salt, spices & chili pepper. Cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1 tsp., chipotle chili. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add mixture to beans, add water if needed, and simmer until beans are soft, keeping water level above beans. When done, add vinegar, and, if needed, more chipotle chili, salt.
Garnish with grated cheese, cilantro, red onion, sour cream, or green chilis
Give the Gift of Education
Your tax-deductible contribution supports and nurtures our scholars. Find out how.
Get Email Updates
Sign up to receive emails about once a month